Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Why I think I lived in England during the 16th century

I don't believe in past lives but I think I previously lived in England during the 16th century.

Not that I had flashbacks of that era (although when I was pregnant I had nightmares about the Tower of London) but more because of my love for the England's 16th century history. The Tudor period. The time of Henry the VIII and his 6 wives, Mary Queen of Scots, Queen Elizabeth I. It first came about during 2007, when I was pregnant, on my second trimester, and had the chance to visit Bob in Scotland. I remember picking up my first history book about Mary, Queen of Scots and Queen Elizabeth I at the Palace of Holywoodrose bookstore in Edinburgh. My collection of history and historical fiction grew after that.

Some of my books :)

Bet that sounds very geeky but 16th century England is actually a very interesting time of history. Its full of action and drama, worthy of its own teleserye version. How women are discarded because they can't produce heirs (Katherine of Aragon). How people get killed because they are in line to the throne (Lady Jane Grey at age 16, can you believe it), or because the King wants a new wife (Anne Boleyn). How two people, cousins, vying for the same throne gets to be scared and wary of each other without ever meeting face to face (Mary, Queen of Scots and Queen Elizabeth I). How England's Virgin Queen, Queen Elizabeth I, managed to be single during her entire life at the time when women rulers are unheard of, and women are used as pawns for marriages for alliances. I could go on and on.

The English have seen just about everything in their history, and that's only the 16 century!

No comments: