Monday, May 09, 2011

Happy Mother's Day, Mama!

I was reading Tin's  mother's day post and thought of writing about my own version as well. Unfortunately, I am really a forgetful person so I can only come up with few lessons I learned from my mom! So I instead, I  thought I'd rather write about the most important lesson I learned from her, and that is how family should always be the priority.

One of our all-time favorite family picture!

My mom would always, always tell us to prioritize spending time with family over friends. She'd say that friends come and go, but family would always be there for you. So growing up, I did a lot of things with my family. Then every Sunday was family day. No matter how late your Saturday night was, Sunday you must get up for the 9am mass. Then over the years there would be conflict of schedules, but we would always go to church together.

I didn't appreciate it much when I was younger and staying at home, (especially since its very hard to get up early on Sunday mornings!) but it was something I understood and valued when I started living overseas. And even before I got married,  I know its the same value that I want for my own family to have.

It is because of all her effort that we turned out to be a close knit family. And I am really thankful for the closeness I share with them. Now even I am far away (fortunately Singapore is not THAT far), I regularly keep in touch with them, many thanks to technology (facebook, twitter, instagram...).

So Mama, thank you! I do not get to say it often enough, we all do not get to say it often enough, but we love you for being our mom. Happy mother's day!

No comments: